Wickenburg Community Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Patient Financial Counselor
at Wickenburg Community Hospital
The Patient Financial Counselor is responsible for working with hospital and clinic patients who express difficulty in paying, sets up payment plans if necessary, assists patients with the AHCCCS application, and processes with financial assistance applications per hospital policy. The financial counselor works with patients, families, and providers to determine the most appropriate solution to meet the patient’s unique financial needs.
This position will coordinate efforts to determine and educate patients of their financial liabilities, collect any amounts owed, and oversee the financial investigation to identify payment sources and possible alternatives.
Essential Job Duties:
- Performs insurance verification with all third-party payers. Obtains initial and subsequent preauthorization for services prior to the initiation of treatment or services.
- Ensures appropriate signatures are obtained on all forms, including but not limited to ABN and patient liability estimates.
- Ensures all demographic, insurance and patient eligibility information is obtained, current, and entered into the electronic medical record and an accurate and timely manner.
- Communicates to the treatment team any anticipated issues with coverage that may impact the sequencing and timeliness of care.
- Performs financial counseling on all patients prior to treatment, which includes outlining and explaining financial obligations, billing process, and collecting payment or establishing payment arrangements with the patients as necessary for the planned treatment and/or procedures.
- Documents financial counseling process and discussions in the EMR and forwards necessary documentation to the patient accounts department.
- Assists patients in obtaining financial assistance (i.e. AHCCCS, drug replacement, etc.).
- Makes referrals to appropriate resources for program enrollment, and/or assists patients to fill out forms as necessary.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers in a courteous and professional manner
- Attend organizational and department meetings when indicated
- Participate in team discussions and planning
- Follows policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of the front office.
- Assists with other front office functions as requested by Patient Access Manager
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to excel in communication skills, both oral and written, with all people. Proficient in computer skills.
- Must be self-directed and able to prioritize duties.
- 4 years of experience in insurance verification and/or other revenue cycle functions.
- 5 years of experience in patient access, insurance verification, or other Revenue Cycle functions, with 3 years of experience directly related to financial counseling
- Bilingual Spanish
- CHAA within 12 months of hire
- CHAA, CRCS, CRCR, or other nationally recognized Revenue Cycle certification
- Works cohesively with the Patient Access Supervisors and Revenue Cycle Managers.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work paying close attention to detail with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. frequently and 50 lbs. occasionally.
Please click on the link below to apply for the position