Mountain Park Health Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - Gateway
at Mountain Park Health Center
A WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor is a paraprofessional support person who gives basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. Peer counselors understand the difficulties and provide realistic and practical guidance to effectively support and encourage breastfeeding as a result of shared personal backgrounds and experience in ways that most health professionals cannot.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Successfully completes new hire training to become a Peer Counselor.
- Receives an assigned caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine and periodic contacts with all mothers assigned using approved methods of communication
- Support mothers in setting and reaching their exclusive breastfeeding goals.
- Gives basic, accurate, and up to date breastfeeding support and education to new mothers, including telling them about the benefits of breastfeeding, overcoming common barriers, and getting a good start with breastfeeding.
- Gives accurate, up to date breastfeeding support and education; references the following resources:
- Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple: A Guide for Helping Mothers, by Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA,
- Medications & Mother’s Milk, by Thomas Hale
- Breastfeeding-Keeping It Simple, by Amy Spangler
- Shows respect to each mother by keeping her information strictly confidential.
- Keeps accurate records of all contacts made with WIC mothers.
- Refers mothers, according to clinic-established protocols, to:
- Attends and assists or facilitates with prenatal classes and breastfeeding support groups or classes as assigned.
- Fulfills training requirements:
- Attends monthly staff meetings and breastfeeding conferences/workshops as assigned.
- Reads assigned books and materials on breastfeeding that are provided by the Breastfeeding Manager and displays an understanding of the concepts presented in those materials.
- Observes other peer counselors or breastfeeding experts helping mothers breastfeed
- May assist WIC staff in promoting breastfeeding peer counseling through special projects and duties as assigned.
- Must be able to embrace differences among people and able to interact with internal staff as well as external contacts in a culturally competent and respectful manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- WIC employee who is an IBCLC or Designated Breastfeeding Expert (DBE) Certified Breastfeeding Authority (CBA)/Designated Breastfeeding Expert (DBE) or
- Mother’s provider
- Public health programs in the community
- Social Service Agencies
- Promotes positive patient/guest relation in accordance with Mountain Park Health Center (MPHC) policies, providing a high level of quality in personal attention and service to patients and visitors.
- Complies with the organization Safety Policies and Procedures. Ensures compliance with governmental licensing and regulatory requirements where applicable. Conducts annual review of and complete/suggest on-going revisions of the Policies and Procedures specific to his/her department. Maintains familiarity with and abide by all established facility and departmental policies and procedures, noting changes when they are published /posted. Conducts himself/herself in a manner consistent with the Mission Statement and Values of MPHC.
- Observes and respects the confidentiality of information in regard to patients, visitors and fellow employees including salary information, if exposed to any of the above referenced information in the course of his/her job function.
- Dresses according to the organization’s dress code policy and procedure, as well as, complies with specific departmental regulations pertaining to employee appearance.
- Demonstrates an understanding of facility organizational structure by utilization of appropriate channels of communication. Maintain consistent, timely communication regarding all facets of departmental activities with his/her co-workers, therefore, demonstrating good customer service skills with both external and internal customers.
- Has breastfed at least one baby (does not have to be currently breastfeeding).
- Is enthusiastic about breastfeeding and wants to help other mothers enjoy a positive experience.
- Has a telephone and is willing to make phone calls from home.
- Has reliable transportation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Bilingual (English/Spanish) is preferred.
Ability to apply basic concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Must be able to embrace differences among people and able to interact with internal staff as well as external contacts in a culturally competent and respectful manner.
Mountain Park Health Center (MPHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to all federal and state law, MPHC prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. MPHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.