Grand Canyon University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Grand Canyon University
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a full time Medical Assistant for our Canyon Health & Wellness Clinic. This position performs administrative and clinical duties under direction, which may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing and coding for insurance purposes, taking and recording vital signs and medical histories of patients, preparing patients for examinations and drawing blood. Patients may include students, faculty and staff.
- Provides prescribed medical treatment and personal care services to ill or injured students, faculty or staff as directed by a physician, advanced practitioner or registered nurse.
- Interviews patients to determine medical complaint/problem/condition and documents in the patient’s chart for the physician or other authorized medical personnel.
- Obtains and records patient’s vital signs and weight.
- Conducts drug/alcohol testing through various approved means of collection and adheres to required protocol with regard to samples.
- Administers hearing/vision tests as well as EKGs.
- Assists physician or other practitioner with patient examinations as needed. Administers specified medication as directed.
- Provides support to the operations of the health and wellness center by maintaining medical equipment, keeping exam rooms properly supplied, cleaning and sterilizing instruments, disposing of contaminated supplies, cleaned and ready for patients, as well as maintaining office inventory and purchasing supplies as necessary. Collaborates with Office Manager in ordering supplies.
- Interacts with patients and other physician offices to assist with follow up, scheduling, questions, etc.
- Performs Medical Records functions such as filing and maintaining patient records, copies records for medical and legal releases, obtaining records and purging records to storage.
- Distributes mail and handles express mail as needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information at all times, and strictly adheres to HIPAA requirements.
- Remains current in knowledge of field.
- High school diploma and completion of an accredited Medical Assistant training program; certification is preferred.
- One year clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in an ambulatory care, occupational health or emergency department setting.
- Current certification in basic life support required.
- Must be willing to submit to, and successfully pass, background checks, drug screen, fingerprinting, TB exams, etc. as necessary.
- Must be knowledgeable of medical terminology and human anatomy.
- Knowledgeable of nursing/medical assistant patient care tasks including competency with suture/staple removal, administering medications by various means, interpreting test results, wound care, patient response and other general nursing procedures.
- Good interpersonal/human relations skills, the ability to relate well to individuals of diverse backgrounds and good communications skills.
- Proficiency with a non-English language or American Sign Language is helpful but not required.
- Ability to operate a PC or laptop and a proficiency with basic office software.
- Ability to make quick, sound decisions in difficult situations.
- Well organized and detail oriented with the ability to cope professionally to changing priorities, difficult and stressful situations and people.
- Must be well versed in the operation of various medical equipment.
- Skilled in phlebotomy.
- Maintains and keeps updated knowledge and skill in medical assisting.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.