City of Maricopa
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accounting Specialist II
at City of Maricopa
- General Summary
The City of Maricopa is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
This is the Intermediate level class in the Accounting Specialist series. Positions in this class are normally filled by advancement from the class of Accounting Specialist I or, when filled from the outside, require significant prior related work experience which allows the employee to meet the qualification standards for the I and II levels. Positions at this level facilitate and perform a variety of complex accounting functions in one or more of the following areas: general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing and payroll. This position works with highly sensitive, confidential banking and employee information, along with budgets, and related accounting data. This position performs tasks that require strong logical understanding of system functionality using financial software systems under limited supervision.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers, communicates with City staff, associate personnel, vendors, and the general public to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
· Prepares, reviews, finalizes and monitors or follow up on a variety of accounts payable/receivable or payroll activities including requesting information from departments, updating and reconciling of data for report preparation.
- Receives, reviews, and verifies check requests/invoices and supporting documentation;
- Sorts, codes and match invoices, set invoices up for payment, enter and upload invoices into the City's financial management system.
- Prepares and performs check runs, and reconcile accounts payable/receivable transactions.
- Monitors accounts to ensure payments are up to date; research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues.
- Prepares information for State of Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax monthly filing.
- Reconciles vendor statements, researches and amends discrepancies.
- Maintains and oversees department's use of Accounts Receivable program.
- Maintains and oversees departments and vendors use of Accounts payable program.
- Prepares program expenditures for the budget process.
- Assists in annual 1099 forms preparation and distribution to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Corresponds with vendors and responds to inquiries
- Maintains vendor files.
- Provides supporting documentation for audits.
- Assists with payroll processing duties.
- Provides written and oral information to City staff concerning accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll inquiries.
- Communicates with City staff, associate personnel, vendors, and the general public to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Comprehends and makes inferences from a variety of written material
- Applies critical thinking to identify, create, propose, implement and measure continuous improvement activities.
- Prepares and processes journal entries as needed.
- Produces monthly reports; assists with month end closing.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Collects and tabulates data to assist supervisor with special projects.
- Performs other job-related duties as needed
- Minimum and Preferred Entrance Qualifications
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma (or GED equivalent)
- At least two (2) years of related accounts payable/receivable and/or payroll processing work experience.
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Will be required to pass a Microsoft Office test with intermediate level of knowledge. Will be required to pass a typing test with 45 WPM.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver's license.
- An Associate's Degree (or higher) in accounting, finance or related field and/or experience in the processing of accounts receivables.
- Three (3) years accounts receivable/payable and/or payroll processing experience.
- One (1) year of accounting experience with general ledger.
- Experience working with MUNIS or similar financial management system.
- Experience in government, municipal, or non-profit utilizing fund accounting.
- Competencies for Successful Performance of Job Duties
- Bookkeeping principles and practices
- Accounts payable/receivable and/or payroll processing
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment
- Basic mathematical principles
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
- Automated financial accounting software
- Data entry techniques
- Using computers and related software applications
- Operating standard office equipment
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Maintain records and files
- Manage and execute multiple tasks
- Perform general ledger entries
- Provide customer service
- Compile data
- Prepare, maintain, and proofread a variety of financially related reports
- Review documentation to monitor compliance with applicable laws, codes, rules, and regulations
- Apply and explain applicable policies and/or procedures, laws, codes or regulations