Arizona Humane Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Thrift Store Associate
at Arizona Humane Society
Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. We offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence.
Thrift Store Associate
Schedule: Days off are Thursday and Sunday
Reports To: Thrift Operations Manager
Ensure safe and efficient operation of the thrift store. Maximize revenues through use of approved marketing and display techniques, appropriate pricing practices and excellent customer service. The ability to train and schedule volunteers to cover available shifts.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to run the cash register without assistance upon completion of training.
- Accept, process and price donations providing the best customer service to both donors and customers.
- Assist customers with loading and unloading their donations/purchases, including furniture items.
- Upon completion of training, must be able to process donations quickly and efficiently which can be up to about 700 garments or about 40 boxes of hard goods in a shift.
- Assist volunteers with thrift store operations. Volunteers are to be thoroughly trained on cash register, receiving donations, processing and customer service.
- Inform the supervisor or manager of any store concerns such as suspected theft, customer complaints, safety issues, etc.
- Ensure shop is kept clean and neat with merchandise aesthetically displayed.
- Ensure availability of all necessary supplies by maintaining and replenishing inventories as needed.
- Work closely with Thrift Store Drivers to ensure prompt pickups of donated items. Be ready and available to help drivers load and unload the truck if necessary.
- Prepare inventory for all estate donations; prepare all required documents for tax purposes.
- Keep volunteer roster current, including phone numbers and days and times worked; distribute copies to appropriate individuals. Track and maintain record of volunteer hours worked.
- Store and maintain shop records, including sales totals and work logs.
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education / Certifications / Licenses:
- High school diploma/GED
- Some college preferred
- Thrift store and/or merchandising experience preferred
- Good public relations skills
- Punctuality and reliability
- Ability to manage time independently in an unstructured environment with minimal supervision
- Comfortability with training volunteers
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
Language Able to speak, read, write and understand English. Bilingual Spanish preferred.
Mathematical Ability to use a cash register and make change required.
Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. There may be occasional wet floors, odors, and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
Thank you for your interest with the Arizona Humane Society. We are Arizona's largest, private non-profit, animal shelter. We hire individuals with a passion to do a great job, and that have a compassion to help all animals.
Due to the high volume of applications received, candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the hiring department will be considered for an interview.
If you are among the highest qualified, you will be contacted to schedule an interview within two weeks of your application submission.
If you are not immediately selected for an interview, your application will be retained for a period of six months for future possible vacancies. Please do not call or email for your application status.
Please check our website often for new job opportunity posting. www.AZHumane.org
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.