Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
Chief Clinical Officer
First Resume Review: 09/30/2019
This position will remain open until filled.
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Office of the Director (OOD) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Chief Clinical Officer. This position will report to the CMO and will be responsible for decisions related to behavioral health service delivery, day-to-day availability for consultation regarding member issues related to behavioral health services, and serving as the agency subject matter expert on behavioral health services. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Single point of contact at AHCCCS for behavioral health (BH) related issues, providing technical assistance to internal staff, health plans, providers, legislators, Governor's Office, & other external customers. Programmatic implementation of integrated BH services including Crisis and Children/Adult Systems of Care.
* Serve as the BH subject matter expert (SME) for: AHCCCS AMPM updates; AHCCCS Court Ordered Evaluation/Court Ordered Treatment (COE/COT), including primary lead for AHCCCS policies & interfacing with community stakeholders. Serve as the AHCCCS SME on SMI determinations, including primary lead on AHCCCS policies regarding SMI eligibility & engaging with statewide vendor responsible for SMI determinations
* Participate in suicide prevention activities. Directly supervise the suicide prevention coordinator and provide management assistance to the CMO teams, as needed.
* Serve as the single point of contact/SME, leading the Arizona Families First (AFF) program for AHCCCS in coordination with DCS
* Chair behavioral health related agency committees, including the Autism Spectrum Disorder Advisory Committee. Serve as a potential Division of Fee-For Service Management state fair hearing behavioral health expert for behavioral health services.
* Consult with AHCCCS medical/clinical staff on complex member cases to resolution..
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Federal regulations related to Medicaid, Medicare and health insurance programs
* AHCCCS rules and regulations
* AHCCCS medical policies
* Behavioral health program requirements
* Health plan operations, medical practices, pharmaceuticals and benefit management
* Managed care medical model
* Claims and medical coding processes
* The Arizona provider community
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Excellent presentation skills
* Organization and behavioral management skills
* Leadership skills
* Good medical practice skills
* Skilled negotiator and conflict manager
* Coordinate, evaluate and make decisions regarding complex medical issues
* Interpret the laws, rules, regulations governing the assigned program areas, and develop policy
* Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work
* Develop a work plan and anticipate all work steps including potential issues
* Demonstrate strong abilities in high level research and analysis
* Prioritize in a fast paced environment
* Coordinate multiple projects, keeping on task and meeting deadlines
* 5 years managed care experience in behavioral health in Medicaid
* Clinically practiced in Arizona
Behavioral Health Professional (BHP) who is actively licensed (in good standing) in Arizona which meets one of the following:
* is licensed under A.R.S. Title 32, Chapter 33, whose scope of practice allows the individual to independently engage in the practice of behavioral health as defined in A.R.S. §32-3251,
* a psychiatrist as defined in A.R.S. §36-501,
* a psychologist as defined in A.R.S. §32-2061,
* a physician,
* a behavior analyst as defined in A.R.S. §32-2091,
* registered nurse practitioner licensed as an adult psychiatric and mental health nurse
Arizona driver license
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.